Friday, July 15, 2005

Cigar Rating
J.L. SALAZAR Y HERMANOS RESERVA ESPECIAL - TORPEDO

Earlier tonight I tried out a new cigar. A J.L. Salazar Torpedo (6¼ X 54).
This stoagie is made in Nicaragua by the Salazar family, who originally made their cigars in Cuba.



The appearance was very pleasingly uniform with a dark brown, nicely veined wrapper.

I found it a little bit harsh at first, with a very strong tangy taste to it, but most of the harshness went away by mid-smoke, giving way to a smooth, woodsy flavor with just a hint of the tangy essence. Not a very complex stick and, while not really a disappointment, not something I'd rave about either. Probably a good smoke for those who prefer a more straightforward cigar.

It burned pretty evenly and produced a solid column of white ash and lots of thick, creamy smoke.

These have been very highly rated as being "full-bodied with well balanced sweet floral flavors and hints of mild spices, cocoa and coffee", but luckily, I didn't read the ratings until after I had smoked it myself, so I wasn't let down.
I may buy another one and let it sit in the humidor and age for several months and see if it is better, since it does have such good ratings, and it is a good price at about $6.00 each.

No comments: